Freeloading in Zambia

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Chiyakabakenang'awa

Welcome to Lunda. It means "the reason people suffer" - how fitting for a word that is EIGHTEEN LETTERS LONG in a language that has been so painful to learn.

Here are some other gems:

Munakuyitelekeshang'a. - You cook for him all the time.
Nakutiyang'a kuzenzalala. - I feel stupid.
Natiyi kusheta chanti, hekwawu nanwi swayi swayi. - I'm feeling a bit tipsy, maybe I drank too fast.
Kachi nafunti, ilang'a ching'a kujaha kamesha kanyanya chitachi. - I would've come, but I had to kill a kitten first.

I'm happy to finally be learning my second language, but I never would've guessed it would be one so random and completely dissimilar to English. Oh yeah, and useless unless you're living in the middle of the bush in Africa.

Chidihohu (oh well).

3 Comments:

  • At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Sandy said…

    That's why you should learn really cosmopolitan global languages like, um, Polish.

     
  • At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss you.

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Blogger Jeannie said…

    It still makes me laugh. I love you Wyatt

     

Post a Comment

<< Home